Today I had the delight to attend an Victorian styled afternoon tea. There was tea, of course, cakes and scones with jam and cream. It was quite delightful. Some, like myself, just made small effort with costumes for the day, but others, like the hostess, turned out spectacular gowns for the day. It made me wish all the more for a Victorian gown of my own.
But a start is still a start! I've put on quite a bit of weight since I made this corset, but it can be my weight-loss goal to fit back into it. With very structured styles such as Victorian gowns, it is essential to have the correct foundation garments or the rest of the gown will not look right, no matter how well made it is.
I have a good measure of cotton, lilac coloured, which I'm going to dedicate to making the rest of the foundation garments for my Victorian costume. Granted, period under things were white, but that's what I get for pre-washing my white cotton with some purple cotton by mistake. But with a burgundy silk corset with lilac silk flossing details, I think I was headed for a non-period look anyway. If I do this right, I'll be able to get away with using it for Steampunk too.